GENERAL MEETING 16th MARCH, 2010
MEETING OPENED: 6.35 pm
ATTENDANCE: Dean Plows, Barry Croft, Lara Borrow , Scott Fraser Jodie Milligan, Karen Hoppe, Heather Hamilton, Candy Connors, Lee-Anne Wrobel
APOLOGIES: Cathy Hurst
MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING:
Motion: That the Secretary’s Notes of the previous meeting held Tuesday 16th February 2010 be accepted as minutes.
Moved to be accepted: Candy Connors Seconded: Lara Borrow
BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES:
- New school shirts being delivered now
- Jodie Milligan was omitted from attendance list of previous meeting and this is noted with apologies to Jodie
Motion: That all reports and correspondence be accepted
Moved to accept: Candy Connors Seconded: Scott Fraser
- Discussion re visit by Clarice Hamling on the 20/4 re flashing traffic lights, times of speed zones, and ideas for effective P&C’s
PRINCIPAL’S REPORT: As attached plus:
- Review of class structure from K (13 students) to K/1 (18 students) and Yr1 / 2 (27 students) to Yr 1 / 2 (22 students)
- WWPS responsible for organisation of Zone Cross Country this year through Mrs Murphy. P&C responsible for canteen if up to it. Can hand that over to another school (Blackalls Park P&C keen) but it brings in significant funds for our school. Friday 7th May 9.30am – 2.30pm
TREASURER’S REPORT: As attached
Moved to accept: Scott Fraser Seconded: Dean Plows
- Pretzel bags – continue with only smaller sized ones at 30c
- Sell remaining lasagne for $2.00
- Sell out Ovalteenies. Not to be continued. Now ‘red’ food item.
- No more eggs available, throwing too many out.
Moved to accept: Barry Croft Seconded: Lee-Anne Wrobel
- Heather suggested buying shirts from K Mart/Best & Less and using iron-on labels. Thinks it would be a much cheaper option for parents and school could possibly make some money from it.
- Barry suggested best to discuss it with supplier re issues, cheaper options, fabrics.
- Concerns about quality of fabric & stitching
- One child getting rashes from fabric and can’t wear new shirts
- Tight fitting around neck, very long
- Spray jackets tight around wrist
- Candy to ask Bernie if she would be prepared to speak to supplier again re issues raised about affordability and quality
PROMOTING THE P&C
- Consider possibility of morning meetings and/or afternoon meetings for parents/carers who are unable to make it to the night meetings.
- From these meetings a different delegate each month could perhaps be elected to represent them at the P&C
- In Term 2 Barry will look at which times might be most effective for people
- To get people involved Karen suggested targeting a different class and their parents each month with appropriate guest speakers or information useful to them
- Ensure meetings and newsletters are more specific, personalised, and focus on communication
- Meetings need to be pre-planned and have a specific structure
- Concerns regarding bullying and the way in which it is being dealt with.
- Concerns regarding SAT room especially for children in infants classes.
- SAT room is confusing parents- Is it for detention? Is it: talking about issues? Is it productive or just reinforcing bad behaviour. Are children in the SAT room given any incentive to improve their behaviour? Do they get enough positive reinforecement? Are they noticed for good behaviour or just bad behaviour?
- Teachers – duty of care when it comes to listening to and addressing children’s concerns
- Teachers – duty of care to ensure effectiveness of SAT room to reduce bad behaviour & increase good behaviour.
- Can we encourage more responsibility in children about mediating their own problems possibly with the help of a Year 6 mentor. How?
- Is the bullying policy revisited often enough with students? Do children understand that verbal intimidation is as hurtful & damaging as physical bullying? Do they understand what verbal bullying is in every aspect
- Thanks to Lee-Anne for continuing to source fundraising ideas
- Hot Cross Buns raised around $100. Orders to be delivered to school & collected from office 23/3/10
- Need to cancel Family Photo day on 21/3/10 as only 5 families showed interest and need 18 orders to go ahead. Not good that it clashed with school photos in same week.
- Entertainment Books are ready to be handed out any time now.
- Still requesting chocolate eggs etc for Easter Raffle on Easter Hat Parade day on 1/4/10 at 1pm.
- Heather offered to investigate the possibility of starting up a Commonwealth Dolomite account for the school. No one knows how long it is since the school operated one
- Heather will also look at whether we can source enough people to run a canteen effectively for the zone cross country. If she thinks there is enough support by the end of this week we will definitely feel confident in supporting Mrs Murphy with this important event.
Meeting Closed: 8.30pm
Next Meeting: Tuesday, 20th April 2010 6.30pm
Guest speaker: Clarice Hamling re flashing traffic lights for our school